Saturday, March 19, 2011

the calm before the storm

I was supposed to lead a ride on the Oregon Coast today.

A couple of things changed that. First, I am joining a ride in the Hood River/The Dalles area on Sunday with a group of tough riders. We will be riding 100 miles with almost 9000 ft of climbing, and upon scanning the attendance list I know I'll be struggling to keep up. With the price of gas currently I didn't think it made much sense to drive to Tillamook on Saturday, then turn around and be in The Dalles on Sunday.

Secondly, Tillamook gets 90 inches of rain annually, The Dalles gets 12. If you are a gambler you've got to look at those odds.

So, I drove to Hood River this morning and rode on the dry side of the Cascades today, am staying in Hood River tonight, and will ride from here again in the morning.

The gamble today paid off. My riding partner and I rode over 50 miles today, we had dry weather with a bit of scattered clouds. We had sunshine with shadows for a good deal of the ride, but also had a few dozen rain drops around mile 45. Not enough rain to make anything wet, and today those infamous Gorge winds were calm.


Much to the chagrin of my bike partner, I rode today's ride slow. I wanted to take in the view and save some energy for the hammerfest tomorrow. Today was the calm before the storm!



Today we rode 56 miles with 4788 ft of climbing. We rode the western half of the upcoming Cherry Ride route.


..........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........56..............0.............0..........0......... 56
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......269..............0.............0..........0.........269
YTD.......1283...............0............21..........7........1311

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.