Sunday, November 14, 2010

not a drop of rain but................

....There was a 100% chance of blizzard! A group from my social bike club set off on a little bike ride from Wilsonville heading toward Monmouth via the Willamette Valley Bikeway today. Our destination was the Dairy Queen there where we intended to have those little ice cream treats known as blizzards!

We pushed a bit of wind all the way down there but did eventually arrive.
Just a few miles north of the Wheatland Ferry we happened upon my Furnace Creek Crew Chief and his lovely bride as they were riding with friend Elise. We were on a mission (and the animal Ken was leading!) so we pedaled on at a pretty good pace. Probably a bit faster than those Keizer residents wanted to ride and we were soon back to just us heading south in search of a blizzard!

/>



We found blizzards!


Not only where there blizzards but there was a banana split too!


There wasn't a drop of rain today but we were all dressed for it after yesterday's rainy weather. I was dressed ready for what I thought would be inevitable rain consequently I was too warm most of the day. The roads were wet for the first few hours so I was hesitant to take off my shoe covers and goretex pants. I had my prized Furnace Creek finisher's jersey on so didn't want it getting dirt splattered either so I kept all my rain gear on.

The wind that hampered us on our way down was kind enough to keep blowing thus becoming a tail wind as we turned back north.
We had a good ride back to Wilsonville. We returned via the hilly Doak's Ferry Rd and the not so hilly Wheatland Ferry. My partners showed me just how slow I really am! Some days are fast, some days are slow. Today I worked hard and still could only watch as my partners rode away from me. They were kind enough to wait for me from time to time, then the process would repeat.

Oh well. When the day was done we all finished the ride!
We then promptly retired to Wankers Corner to replenish calories and carbs!



Post ride data download shows:
109.4 miles
2651 feet total ascent
131 bpm avg heart rate
89 rpm avg cadence
174 max heart rate
15.4 mph avg
41.3 mph max
5636 calories burned

I was working way too hard to be going that slow!



............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.....ROLLERS....TOTAL
Today.......109...............0...............0.........109
Jan........618...............0................0..........618
Feb........692...............0................0..........692
March......940...............0................5..........940
April......934...............0................0..........934
May........905...............0................0..........905
June......1152...............0................0.........1152
July......1020...............0................0.........1020
Aug.......1000...............0................0.........1000
Sept......1002...............0................0.........1002
Oct........905...............0................0..........905
Nov........296...............0................0..........296
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....9481...............0..............5.........9486

1 comment:

  1. We had a nice ride and did take a short cut or two. We were at Burgerville when we saw your group make the turn toward the Blizzard. Upon leaving, Elise noticed that her bike had dropped a rear rack bolt, so we rode down to True Value for repairs. Then we avoided the hills on Doaks Ferry by going all of the way into W. Salem. Great ride!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.