Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I have priorities

but ignored them this morning and went for a bike ride! Cloudless October days will do that to a person.

Just cruised around the Tualatin Valley.

(late afternoon update)
I was emailing with my Furnace Creek 508 teammates today and talking about next year's plans. Talk of such things as another run at Race Across Oregon and a shot at Furnace Creek 508. I was leaning real hard towards a solo entry in the Race Across Oregon and there was some talk of a team effort in the Furnace Creek 508.
I went to the Race Across Oregon websiteto get some answers to questions and lo and behold, I note that in `09 RAO and STP are scheduled for the same weekend.

Quite a conundrum. I absolutely love the STP and the challenge of riding all 204 miles in one day. I've increased my average speed each of the 4 years I've participated. It is THE BEST organized bike event I've ever attended.

Compare that with Race Across Oregon where I see a lot of lost opportunities for the organizer to improve. Yes, it would be fun and a great challenge to return to RAO as a soloist and see what I'm capable of. At the same time the impetus for competing in the `08 RAO was to have it on my resume when I apply for inclusion in the `09 Furnace Creek 508. Any participation in the `09 RAO would be after registration was submitted for the 508 so that reason does not exist this year.

So, short version.... I'm really on the fence as to whether I will return to RAO this year. If I don't participate in RAO it will really put the pressure on heading back to Death Valley next October ......and this time bring my bike!

So it's back to focusing on the two year plan.
1)Participate in the `09 Furnace Creek 508
2)Have some fun in the process...ie "more miles and more smiles"

Given that I'd have to miss STP I'm not sure RAO fits into that real well.
Maybe saving the money involved in competing in RAO and put it towards a full effort on FC 508 is the best course of action.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today.............44...............0.................44
Jan total.......98.....+........402....=..........500
Feb total.....385.....+.......220....=...........605
Mar total.....659.....+........41.....=...........700
April total...629.....+........57.....=...........676
May total.....642.....+........23.....=...........665
June total....804.....+.........0.....=...........804
July total....933.....+.........0.....=...........933
August total..732.....+........23.....=...........755
Sept total....338.....+.........0.....=...........338
YTD...........5431....+.......766....=.........6197

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.