Tuesday, October 7, 2008

almost back to normal

I arrived back home this morning at 8:15 AM after the drive home from Santa Clarita. I stopped for a one hour nap near Redding Ca adding 1 hour to the 15 hour drive. Better safe than sorry. :-) I have a few hours before an evening meeting........ back to the grind. I will start sorting through the many photos and video of the Furnace Creek 508 and get them put into some sort of coherent order then put them into the FC 508 blog postings here.

I just want to say once again how much fun the Furnace Creek 508 experience was. I appreciate Mike "Siberian Husky" Arenberg and Tom Eller for taking a chance on me and allowing me to share in the fun. Tom has crewed many RAAMs (Race Across America) and it was quite educational to see first hand how an experienced crew member sets things up and operates. I learned a lot of things from both Mike and Tom that will help me when I ride the FC 508.

It was very interesting to be observing a rider rather than riding myself. Having ridden long distances (though not nearly 509 miles!) I knew a lot of what he had to be going through. When I'd see him stop pedaling for a moment and stretch I knew exactly how he felt. When he came to incredibly rough sections of road I knew exactly how that felt too. I can appreciate the effort that Mike put into this major accomplishment. I am happy that I in some small way helped make that possible.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    Thank you for passing along the message from "Thrasher." It was a pick me up when my crew told me he had said hello!

    You're going about your journey to 508 the right way, getting experience as a crew member first. It will be helpful to you.

    I'll be posting to my blog as the week goes on. I think it takes longer to blog about this race than it does to race it!

    Take Care,

    George "Red Eyed Vireo" Vargas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 508 George.
    Yes indeed, It "only" took 35 hours to ride it.......it's going to take a week to get everything sorted out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.