Thursday, October 2, 2008

Travel day

6:51 AM No bike.....but still bikey!
Having left home early (2AM!)daylight finds me in Nothern California on my way to the Furnace Creek 508. The adventure has begun!

11 AM, in Sacramento. Almonds, melons, and rice in the farms. I guess I'm not in Kansas anymore! About 400 miles to go.

1:20 PM Mile 685 into my journey, citrus and aquaducts abound, also some pistachio orchards!.

3:11 PM 120 miles from LA, remarkably vacant. There is just nothing out here except powerlines and cell/microwave towers. Even in the more desolate areas of Oregon if a freeway intersects with another main road there will be a few support type business....gas, cafe, auto repair. Along this stretch there was nothing...absolutely nothing. Just miles and miles of dust and irrigated agriculture. No farm building or anything. Oh, there was one very large feed lot. Probably 80 acres under roof, mountains of hay stacked outside, several thousand beef animals. A noticeable brown cloud was riding the wind from the direction of LA. I sure wouldn't want to be breathing that air everyday.

4:55 PM After 932 miles, I have arrived in Santa Clarita!

Then proceeded to prepare for the ride. After getting most of our stuff ready we walked down the block and took the opportunity to unwind a bit.

Left to right,
Mike "Siberian Husky" Arenberg, Tom Eller, and me.


Over the course of the race I'll give updates from my phone. I'll get back on here and spruce up the layout after we finish up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.