Sunday, April 15, 2018

little numbers and big numbers

I had plans to ride up to the Quetzale Trail, but this morning the 19 mile 3400 ft route seemed like a big bite to take, and taking rock roads that direction without a patch kit seemed unwise.  Instead, I went down to Boquete and toured around town a bit trying to make a better mental map. I also got a patch kit to go with the pump I picked up the other day.  I feel more secure now that I have means to change flats should they occur on the many rock (not gravel, ROCK) roads here.

I was ready to ride, sort of, and headed south. (toward the Pacific Ocean, in this quarter turned world)  I climbed a 200 ft hill as I pedaled south, but before I got to the top, I stopped to get a photo of this road side attraction.


I don't know what a "La Barranca" is, but it seems that this was placed here for the benefit of the community on behalf of some Panamanian people in high places.


Once I got to the top I stopped at the Visitor's Center and read all about coffee. Since I don't drink the stuff it is about as close to the area's cash crop as I'm likely to get.



Before I left the visitor's center I perused the map of the area.


I considered riding a loop that began near the visitor's center, but the clouds were rolling in, and I thought that maybe I'd have enough even with this short ride. Little steps

As I rode back through town I decided lunch was a good side trip.



The little number?  6.9 miles
The big number?  960 ft elevation gain.



........Road Bike........Rollers.......MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today ......0.................0.................7....................0..............7
Jan.........26................ 0................0.....................0..............26
Feb.........7..................0................0.....................0...............7
March.......5.................0................0.....................0...............5
April.......0.................0...............20.....................0...............20
YTD.........38...............0................20.....................0.............58

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.