Saturday, May 6, 2017

Playing Tourist

I'm in Sacramento for a few days before continuing on south for the Southern California RAAM Challenge. This morning I was busy tweaking navigation files based on a moving target of team members' expectations.  In the early afternoon I became aware of a railroad hand car contest being held in nearby Folsom. I was off!

I drove up near town, then pedaled the fixie the rest of the way. I figured if traffic and parking were going to be of concern that traveling by bike was the best option.

I've biked the American River path a number of times, but have never been to the town of Folsom. I was putting my cell phone into camera duty, and it was failing today.  I got a few pictures in, but more often than not the screen was black.

I rode around historic old town Folsom.  I was trying to find where the hand car races were being held.  I found the sponsoring agency and was handed a flyer that explained the whole thing.  I was off again!

I found the activity.





After I watched a few hours of competition I pedaled back across a bridge in Folsom to the north side of the American River, the side that the American River trail is on.


I pedaled up to Folsom Dam.


The last time I was up this way the reservoir behind the dam was nearly dry.  Today they were spilling water after a very wet spring.  I continued beyond the main dam and followed trails that took me across 3 more wing dams.  I just tootled around, making my way back down across the truss bridge, then back up the canal that fed the old powerhouse, up to 50 years ago.  Now that canal has large trees growing in it.

I turned around when I reached signs saying that I was entering Folsom Prison land and would be prosecuted.

I finished up the ride riding around the streets of old town Folsom.

It was a nice ride!

............Road Bike........Rollers.............MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today ...........24................0....................0........................0...........24
Jan..............304...............15...................0......................31..........350
Feb................0..................0....................0.......................0..............0
March..........18.................0....................0........................0............18
April...........113.................0....................0........................0...........113
May...............67................0....................0........................0.............67

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.