Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A blast from the past, Rocky Butte Hill Repeats!

My friend Monica now leads the Rocky Butte Hill Repeats, a ride series that I started several years ago when I was a ride leader for a social bike club. She invited me to come join the fun tonight. I accepted and invited another friend, Paula, to ride along.

I rode 11 miles to Rocky Butte from Sellwood Park along the Springwater and I-205 paths, since I remember all too well the traffic nightmares of commuting across town by car during rush hour. Paula was coming from Tualatin and had to fight the traffic.

I pedaled just hard enough to ride the 11 slightly uphill, and moderate headwind miles and be just barely on time for the 6PM start. Mark, Monica, and one other rider were there waiting. Paula was still on the road.

Mark and I lead the charge up the hill, he was just humoring me. Monica fell just slightly off the pace.

It was a pretty night for riding.



After about 45 minutes Paula was coming up the hill as I was coming down. We were now in full force.

Mark had to leave after two repeats, but the rest of us stuck it out to the 7:30pm finish time.

As is traditional, we found a location for a post ride debriefing.

Paula (L), Monica (R) and in the window reflection just above and behind Monica is me!

It was just getting dark as we scattered toward home. Monica did not have far to go, but Paula and I both had to ride across town. Luckily, I had brought a good light. Paula had a safety blinky on, but not a good riding light. I rode just behind her and to the side, sharing my light with her.

We took Portland Bikeways across town. We rode within a block of her house, but she took pity on the country boy and made sure I found my way to Sellwood. ;-)

We stood on the side of a street and talked bikey things for quite some time before finally looking at the time and deciding we needed to call it a night.

It was a good night with friends.

Oh, ya, I got 6 repeats in 90 minutes. Fair showing.

...............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle........total
Today.................40...........0..............0..........0..............40 Jan..................93..............0...............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653.............0..............0.........0............653 April..............696..............0...............0.........0............696 May...............900...............0...............0.........0.............900
June..............208...............0..............0..........0...........208 Total...........2964.............0...............0..........0.............2964

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.