Saturday, June 8, 2013

2 Rides, 2 States

The plan today was to be a ride referee for Cascade Bicycle Club's Flying Wheels Summer Century event.  I was picking up a friend from the ferry terminal then getting an early start on the route because I had evening plans. A little snafu developed when my friend missed the ferry connection.  No big deal, it was an early sailing, leaving just prior to 5AM, and it was a Saturday morning! ;-)

I picked him up just over an hour later that we had originally planned.  We loaded the bike and made our way to Marymoor Park, the start  location.

Cascade is a big club and folks turned out in droves for today's ride.



There was a full compliment of ride refs to keep the hoards in check.
A few of us gathered pre ride for a photo.


There were many distance options, and with our later than planned start I opted for the 65 mile route since I wasn't sure I could get the 100 finished in time. I rode quickly today but stopped a few times to help riders with flats.  I also stopped briefly at all 3 rest stops.  I wouldn't want to pass up good rider kibble!






The day's weather improved as it progressed.  It looked like it might rain early, and I put my fender on the bike, but by mid ride some blue sky started to appear.

I felt like I was struggling as I climbed the hills, but I did notice that I was passing most of the riders. I wasn't passing them as quickly as I had wanted to, but at least I was passing them.  Race Across Oregon is rapidly approaching!

I finished the 65 quicker than Julie finished her 25 mile route, and quicker than Leo wrapped up his 65 miles.



  It was okay, there was a finishline festival, and ride refs scored a complimentary beer or wine.



Within a couple of hours we were all gathered together, as it ended up I would have had time to ride the full century.  Oh well, it was still a good ride.

3 of us then made the commute to Portland for a little protest bike ride.  It was a bit weird and thousands of riders milled around waiting for the ride to start, which it finally did, over an hour late.






The lack of punctuality, and what appeared to be a lack of cohesiveness, made this event not very much fun.
Oh well. 

It was still a good day on a bike.


...............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle........total
Today.................80...........0..............0..........0..............80 Jan..................93..............0...............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653.............0..............0.........0............653 April..............696..............0...............0.........0............696 May...............900...............0...............0.........0.............900
June..............313...............0..............0..........0...........313 Total...........3069.............0...............0..........0.............3069

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.