Friday, August 21, 2015

The dog days of Summer

Though we are officially a little late to be in the "dog days of Summer" it was still a warm day. I took the fixed gear bike out for a little spin.  I started in Tualatin and rode to Cook Park.


 I explored around a bit and ended up in Durham Park.  I followed roads out of the park, just to get my bearings.  Not surprisingly, I was in Durham.


I crossed back over Fanno Creek, then rode northward and went for a repeat of Wednesday's ride, taking the Fanno Creek Trail to Garden Home.
I turned around and came back to Cook Park, this time continuing my exploratory ways, rode around the park a bit.


I got to the boat landing and was surprised to see signage that said that personal watercraft (jet skis, etc) were not allowed on the Tualatin River.  That seemed strange that they could limit certain types of watercraft on the Tualatin, which I thought was classified as "navigable".  In my previous life as a whitewater enthusiast, (early 80's) we were told that any river, or section of river, that had steamboat traffic or had been used to transport log rafts was deemed navigable. That designation limits landowners from restricting use of the river.  However, while looking for citations as I'm typing this, it appears that the law may have changed, and a river is only navigable if it is on the list now.

But further research found this more recent finding, that again lists log rafts as one of the deciding factors.  I would think that if a jet ski operator was cited for traveling along the river in this section that they would have a good chance of getting the citation dismissed........after a lengthy and expensive court process.

I let the battles of water access rest, and pedaled on.

I ended up with 27 miles, and took most of the afternoon to accomplish it!


........Road bike........Rollers.......MTB.......Lifecycle....Total
Today.......27...............0..............0..............0..............27
Jan..........765.............0..............0..............0.............765
Feb..........248............0..............0..............0..............248
March......183...........0...............0.............0...............183
April........228...........0...............0.............0...............228
May.........200............0..............0.............0...............200
June.........199...........0...............26...........0...............225
July..........246...........0...............0.............0...............246
August.....351...........0...............0.............0...............351
Total........2482.........0...............26............0..............2508

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.