Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Metal Craft

Bike related?  Sure
Did I ride bike?  Yup
Barely.

My project today was to rebuild my cot/storage unit that I use in support vehicles for ultra races.  I wanted to replace the 2x4 wood construction with iron.  The wooden version fit well in full sized vans, but was a very tight squeeze in the now popular mini-vans.  By going to angle iron I could gain a very valuable 3" on both length and width dimensions, and still fit a standard ThermaRest camping mattress.

I had picked up the iron yesterday, but needed some hardware to fill out my supply list.
It was all just small parts, so I took the fixie for a spin.


I then returned home and started welding stuff together.


The wooden version was never painted, but wood doesn't rust.


Pretty much ready to go.   It started raining 2 hours after I finished painting.  Perfect timing!

.........Road Bike.....Rollers.............MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today .........2................0...................0.......................0............2
Jan...............0................0...............,...0.......................0............0
Feb..........124...............0...................0.......................0...........124
March......277................0..................0........................0..........277
April......286................0..................0........................0..........286
YTD...... 687...............0...................0.......................0...........687

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.