Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Magnolia!

I took the fixie out for a spin today.  The Hwy 99 Viaduct in Seattle will close tonight for 2 weeks while "Bertha" tunnels under it.  Given the fiasco that this project has been, it seems that nobody is willing to gamble that some disaster will not happen as it tunnels within 15 feet of the foundation of the viaduct.  I'm not sure if the street under the viaduct will be closed but thought this might just be my last chance to ride there for a few weeks.

I rolled down Queen Ann, rolled being a misnomer, since there was little rolling involved, but a steady significant pressure being held on the pedals to keep from over running my gear.  My other bikes roll at nearly 40 mph down this hill.  The fixie would be held to 12-15 mph.

Once I got to the bottom I got on the Ship Canal Trail and rode toward Magnolia.  On the fixed gear the climb up is a workout.   Once I got up, the views across Elliot Bay were superb.




I took the easy descent off the east side of Magnolia and accessed the Elliot Bay Trail.  I was surprised to see this sign, ostensibly placed by SDOT, that limited speed to 5 mph.  I seemed to be the only one who paid attention to it.


When I posted this picture to a local Seattle Facebook cycling group a typical response was "The sign as-is promotes outright mockery"  I rode a bit farther, slowly just to be obnoxious, then took this photo.


I continued along the waterfront and got to the construction zone.  Narrow lanes, zero shoulders, and concrete jersey barriers separating lanes made the passage harrowing.  I took the center of the lane, much to the chagrin of a few of the motorists.  Oh well.

I got to near the ferry terminal and noted the time, and the wind.  I figured that a ride out to Alki would be just too much for the time I had left.  The ride out there is exposed and sure to be against the wind for half the way.  I turned around and rode back through the construction zone.  This time was a little easier.  I, by chance, had timed the traffic light so I was in back of a group of cars. I had no problem keeping up with the flow of traffic.  Funny thing about that, if I'm in the front, drivers think they need to pass me, if I'm in the back there is no issue.

I noted a lot of flags flying in the boat basin.  It seems that an around the world clipper race is laying over in town. I spent a little time finding out what it was all about.


I got back to Myrtle Edwards Park and took one more photo.


Then I began the arduous climb back up Queen Ann from the south side.

It was a short ride, but a good workout.


.........Road Bike.....Rollers.............MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today ........18................0...................0.......................0...........18
Jan...............0................0...............,...0.......................0............0
Feb..........124...............0...................0.......................0...........124
March......277................0..................0........................0..........277
April......526................0..................0........................0..........526
YTD...... 927...............0...................0.......................0...........927

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.