Thursday, September 19, 2013

Training wheels?

That's exactly what I was asking myself tonight.  I haven't been on my bike in over two weeks, a record for me that reaches back 8 years.  I was wondering if I still knew how to ride!

My brother-in-law Dave invited me to join him on an after work ride.  Dave is a strong rider, and just came off Cycle Oregon beside.  I knew I'd have my work cut out tonight.  I met him at his work location and we rode to the Rose Garden (Moda Center) where we accessed Portland's 40 Mile Loop.

It was 76 degrees as we pedaled out.  There was not a cloud in the sky.  It was a perfect night for a ride.

Dave was breathing down my back and I did my best to keep 18+ mph.  I even held a pretty respectable pace up the hill to Adidas Headquarters.

We rode past University of Portland then across the Peninsula Crossing Trail to the Columbia River.  An Osprey cheered us on as we rode past.




We kept moving along but the light was fading.  Dave had a headlight on for the entire ride, I stopped to put mine on as we were coming back on the Springwater Corridor. I just wanted to make sure other riders could see me coming in the shadows.

We reached the Willamette River and followed it downstream. It was not dark dark, but it was getting a little bit dark by the time we rolled along the East Bank Esplanade.




We finished the loop up without any incidents.  It was a good night for a ride, and I'm glad Dave got me out there tonight.  As Rod Stewart sang, "It's late September and I really should be back at school".  Well, maybe not back at school, but late September in NW Oregon means that we should be cherishing the sunny dry days.  The rains will be here soon enough.


 ...............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle........total
Today..............42...........0................0............0.............42 Jan..................93..............0...............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653.............0..............0.........0............653 April..............696..............0...............0.........0............696 May...............900...............0...............0.........0.............900
June..............484...............0..............0..........0...........484
July..............1300................0...............0..........0.............1300
 Aug................638.............0.................0..........0.............638
 Sept...............174..............0................0...........0.............174 Total...........5105.............0...............0..........0.............5105

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.