Monday, October 1, 2012

Two Lake Loop

A sunny day, bonus! I took the opportunity to ride around Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish and added a little ride up Seattle's waterfront.



I began near the top of Queen Anne and rode down across the Fremont Bridge, not Portland's Fremont Bridge over the Willamette River, but a smaller Fremont Bridge in the Fremont Neighborhood of Seattle.
Portland's Fremont Bridge is the second longest tied arch bridge in the world, while Seattle's Fremont Bridge is the busiest drawbridge in the world.

I got on the Burke-Gilman Trail and began along the western shore of Lake Washington. I came to Logboom Park and stopped to look around.  I learned that this was the site of a lumber operation where logs were hauled in via rail and dropped into the lake where they were lashed together in large rafts to be floated to mills.  An interesting tidbit was that logging began about 1860, and by 1920.... a span of 60 years, all marketable timber was logged from the area. The waterway and locks between Lake Lake Washington and Puget Sound were finished in 1916, and resulted in the level of Lake Washington being lowered by 9 ft. (and the dewatering of one river and the relocation of another!)
What is left of the timber operation at Logboom Park today is polluted water. I guess there were different priorities a generation ago.
There was also a sign advising that swimming here was not safe. 
There was a nice view across the lake though.

I continued on my way, following a course I had ridden before which went around the northern end of Lake Washington, through Marymoor Park and along the eastern edge of Lake Sammamish. When I got down to the southern end of Lake Sammamish I got on the route I rode a couple of weeks ago that took me out to May Valley then headed west.

I made my way over to Seattle's waterfront and rode a route that I have ridden a few times now with various Cascade Bicycle Club folks. Once I got to the heart of Seattle I rode UP Queen Anne, a steep pitch worthy of notice, and a fitting way to end the ride today.

Just another great day on a bike!


............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total Today..........75..............0.............0..........0...........75 Jan...........105.............34.............0..........0..........139 Feb...........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.........809..............0.............0.........22..........831 April........1010..............0.............0..........0.........1010 May..........1000..............0............20..........0.........1020 June.........1500..............0.............0..........0.........1500 July.........1558..............0.............0..........0.........1558 Aug...........531..............0.............0..........0..........531 Sept..........730..............0.............0..........0..........730
Oct.............75..............0..............0..........0............75
YTD..........7732............142............20.........46.........7891 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.