Thursday, September 6, 2012

Visiting Pete

As the day was ending I decided that I just needed to get out on the bike.  I haven't been riding very much in the last 5 or 6 weeks, and when I have been it has certainly not been riding hard.  I've become a bit concerned about achieving 10,000 miles for the year.  It would be my 4th year in a row to do that if I can pull it off. I keep watching all this nice warm and dry weather go by, knowing that if I am to reach 10k, and I am not riding now, I will have to be riding when it's wet and cold.

To add to the urgency, I will be supporting Mick Walsh during his  Ring of Fire 24hr time trial this weekend and unable to get a ride in.

So,  tonight just after 6:30 PM I started out on my bike with the goal of visiting Pete.  Pete's Mountain that is. 



With the days becoming noticeably shorter I didn't have much time before darkness.  I suppose with the inevitably approaching weather, I should note that dark, warm, and dry is far better than dark, wet, and cold, and just keep riding.   I can't get my head around that right now, so I planned to be back before dark.

With my lack of serious riding lately I noted with disdain the effort it took to pedal up the little hills today. I really noticed it as I climbed up Pete's Mountain!
I reached the top just as the sun was going down. The view to Mt Hood was difficult today, maybe a bit of haze in the air, or maybe some smoke in the Cascade Range from forest fires? At any rate, I stopped to catch my breath and snap an obligatory photo.


I had climbed just over 1600 ft in 12 miles.  I was ready for some downhill! I followed the twist and turns down the south side of Pete's Mountain then the fun roller coaster ride of Advance Rd before finally calling it a night.  I had my rear red blinky on, but hadn't felt the need to put the front blinky on yet.

Nice weather, glad I got a ride in.

........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today..........16..............0.............0..........0...........16 Jan...........105.............34.............0..........0..........139 Feb...........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.........809..............0.............0.........22..........831 April........1010..............0.............0..........0.........1010 May..........1000..............0............20..........0.........1020 June.........1500..............0.............0..........0.........1500 July.........1558..............0.............0..........0.........1558 Aug...........531..............0.............0..........0..........531
Sept...........133...............0.............0...........0..........133
YTD..........7060............142............20.........46.........7229

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.