Friday, February 19, 2010

a BIKEY day!

First:



Hello and congratulations!

You have been selected to compete in the 27th Anniversary Furnace Creek 508 on October 2-4, 2010, “The Toughest 48 hours in Sport.” You are part of a select group who will participate in this world-famous spiritual odyssey through Death Valley and the Mojave Desert. We look forward to sharing the experience with you!


Woo Hoo!

I keep in touch with my crewmate and rider from the `08 FC 508. We are bound by a common experience and are genuine friends. All three of us made the cut. It will be old home week in Death Valley in October!

`08's crew chief, Tom, will be riding in his first Furnace Creek 508, Mike and I will be riding in our second. It was fun to read Tom's email. The same thing I felt last year, and Mike the year before.

"Woo Hoo!"
"Oh 'crap'"
"Woo Hoo"
"holy 'crap'"
"Woo Hoo"
"what did I get myself into"

Mike and I have pretty much the same reaction, just muted a bit by knowing exactly what we've gotten ourselves into.

Here's what I sent back to the race director:

Re: 2010 Furnace Creek 508
...
Fri, February 19, 2010 7:18:22 PM
From: Kevin
To: Furnace Creek 508 Race Office

Woo Hoo! I am SO ready for a rematch with Death Valley. I truly hope to have conditions just like last year! Anything less and I'll always have to make excuses to friends on why I "wasn't good enough" to finish in `09. Bring it on!

Kevin "Desert Coyote" Van Dyke

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What is happening in Kevin's corner of the bike world?
http://the-whir-of-spokes-in-air.blogspot.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Second:


It looks like the Race Across Oregon team has come together. Lauren and I will be riding in a mixed double relay team. Dave will be crew chief joined by Michelle and Tim. Tim and Michelle both ride, both have supported marathoners. Dave was a member of my `09 Furnace Creek endeavor. I had hoped to have all three members of my FC 508 crew join me at RAO for several reasons, but the other two had previous commitments. As serious an event as RAO is, I view it as a shakedown for this year's FC 508.


And third:

Art posted a ride for this afternoon.

Shorter than I would have liked but the sun was shining brightly and I couldn't resist. 5 of us rode from the Multnomah area of Portland's upper west side up

and over Council Crest dropping into downtown then climbing back over to the west side via Terwilliger Blvd.

Only 14 miles, but 2455 ft of net elevation gain. A great ride, and with the short distance I felt very strong. Rode up the hills pretty much at will. :-)

It was a great day, perfect weather, good friends, good hills, great news, and finally a good time at Lucky Lab Public House for our post ride social!



............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.........TOTAL
Today.......14................0.................14
Jan........618...............0................618
Feb........463...............0................463
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....1081...............0...............1081

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.