Sunday, August 24, 2008

RAPSody, day 2

(you may click on most still photos for a full size view)

The forecast was for rain by noon, so a few of us decided on an early start from Shelton to try to beat it, or at least minimize the time we'd have to ride in it.

Breakfast opened at 6AM and by that time I already had my tent and overnight bag loaded in the baggage truck. I ate a good breakfast and was on the bike by 6:35AM.

Once again I lost the course at several points, adding a few miles to my ride. The only condolence I had in getting off course was at least I was not alone. Every time I was off course there were other bikes around also searching for the way back! At one point I missed a Dan Henry that was somewhat obscured by gravel, and it was the only one marking the turn off Libby Rd. I ended up taking a rather long tour of the county's chip sealed roads (Fishtrap Loop Rd does indeed make a loop and after several bone jarring miles brings you right back where you started!) before joining up with several other lost cyclists and getting back on course thanks to a kind homeowner who gave us directions!

One of these days I may learn how to be an expert "helmet cammer" but in the meantime we have to suffer through the learning curve. Here is a clip of riding across Mud Bay. The helmet cam does not have a viewfinder, it is supposed to just record what I am looking at. However, if the camera gets bumped on the helmet (like reaching up to turn it on!) then it isn't looking the same way I am!


The helmet cam is still pointing in a slightly wrong direction, but here's a clip of riding into the Yauger Park rest stop in Olympia.



On day two we rode many miles on multi-use trails, such as this stretch on the Chehalis-Western Trail in the Olympia area.



The wind was beginning to pick up as I approached the rest stop at Van's Burgers on the edge of a golf course. Along this stretch it was a cross wind, but I'd soon be turning north with the wind at my back.



The route again took us past the nicely manicured yards in front of the upper class homes of DuPont. Before long I was negotiating the round-a-bouts of the University District of Tacoma with great views over the water but I was trying to make it the last few miles to TCC before the rapidly darkening clouds dumped their contents on me so I didn't stop.


I made one more off course excursion, as did most others I heard, and ended up riding all the way to 19th giving me a rather tortuous hill to climb with not much shoulder to get back to TCC. At least on this little side trip I saw some wildlife right in town! By the time I could get the camera turned on, etc, the doe decided she had enough of this brightly colored lycra clad humanoid and bolted.


Even with my extra miles the plan worked pretty well, it started raining, and raining hard, when I was less than a half mile from the finish. I had accumulated 92 miles of the 81 planned course miles. With the rain coming down hard I decided NOT to ride around a bit just for the even century!

One of the traditions of RAPSody is the cowbell fanfare for the finishers. These folks have a smile on their faces rain or shine!


I took advantage of the opportunity for a hot shower then came back out for some of the finishline goodies and a little visit with folks. I even managed to get a clip of Leo, "the unofficial mayor of the Kitsap Peninsula" as he crossed the finish line in what he later described as a "fine and certain misery"



It was good ride, course markers could have been better, but great folks, great rest stops, great views and supports a great cause! This Oregonian will be back next year for a threepeat!

Cascade Bicycle Club member Ross Carey has some excellent photos of RAPSody posted HERE

and L. Lisa Lawrence has a great video posted to YouTube that she was kind enough to allow me to add here.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............92...............0.................92
Jan total.......98.....+........402....=..........500
Feb total.....385.....+.......220....=...........605
Mar total.....659.....+........41.....=...........700
April total...629.....+........57.....=...........676
May total.....642.....+........23.....=...........665
June total....804.....+.........0.....=...........804
July total....933.....+.........0.....=...........933
YTD...........4619....+.......766....=.........5389

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.