Monday, September 22, 2014

Seattle to Portland- a one day ride

 I started off in Seattle just before noon and headed south. I biked down 2nd Ave S, the subject of a million dollar overhaul to put in a "protected" bike lane recently. I've never seen the use of this as 2nd is a one way street, mostly with a gentle down slope.  It is very easy to keep up with traffic.  There is a painted bike lane, of all things, on the left side of the road, in the door zone.

 Rather than put myself in that danger, I took the center of the right lane and followed a city bus through town. I was expecting a lot of stops, but the bus was out of service and just went through.  I followed about 40 feet back. As we approached the section where the new bi-directional protected bike lane has been installed I saw two motorcycle cops sitting in the shadows on side streets in two different locations. I would not have been surprised to have one of them roll out to ask me why I was not riding in the PBL.  They however let me pass. One even waved as I rolled by.  I waved back.  :-)


I arrived at the train station, also the location where the Bolt Bus boarded.  Today's STP would involve not only biking, but also a bus ride.  I loaded my bike and boarded the bus, and spent the next few hours in comfort watching the scenery roll by.

I arrived in Portland, unloaded the bike, and biked across the Willamette River.  I grabbed a bite to eat then met my brother-in-law as he got off work.  I loaded my bike into his vehicle and was transported back to Wilsonville.   It was one of the easiest STP's I've ever done.  ;-)



 ..........road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total Today...........8...............0..............0...............0..............8 Jan............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........701.............0..............0...............0............701
April..........749.................0..............0...............0..........749
May...........613.................0..............0...............0...........613
June............309...............0..............0...............0...........309
July...............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August.........359................0..............0...............0.............359
 Sept............170................0...............0...............0.............170 Total..........4712...............0..............0...............0..........4712

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.