Friday, May 31, 2019

This song is over

I didn't know it as I rolled out today, but this will be my last riding day in Panama, at least for this trip. Murray, the gentleman who loaned me the bike had some unforeseen duties to attend to so our meeting to return the bike was delayed.  I thought I might have one more day but today ended up being it.

I took off to ride the Alto Jaramillo loop.  There is an opportunity to short cut it, but I went for the full meal deal.

As I rode through town I took alternative roads to stay off the busier street. I came to this vine covered tree.  Someone must have done some trimming, last year it was much more like a tunnel going under it.


Right after crossing the Rio Caldera I was treated to a 15.8% pitch, not very long, but definitely long enough!

It wasn't very far until I could look out over Boquete.

11,398 ft Volcan Baru in the background. Maria Bonita is the building in front of the two large green roofs in the lower left.

I got to where the rock (small boulders!) road cut across, but I continued onward.   Up and up I went.  By the time I was 3 miles beyond the river I had already climbed 1500 ft.


I arrived at El Parador, a good place to stop for drinks, snacks, and handmade trinkets, but I did not stop at the shop today.  I wanted to be done as quickly as possible to miss any afternoon rain.


But I did stop quickly to take a photo of the view from their deck. On a clear day you can see the Pacific Ocean from here.  I could not quite make it out today.


I continued climbing, reaching the farm where famous Geisha Coffee is grown.  It wholesales for over $300 lb.  Glad I don't drink coffee!


I continued on up reaching my turn at the Alto Jaramillo Escuela. (school) I struck up a very limited conversation with a young girl and her mother, then turned left and continued upward.


The birds were causing quite a ruckus.  I saw a very large blue colored humming bird, but could not get a photo of it. The final pitch on this climb before finally descending reached 17.3%, and maintained that for a considerable distance.  It passed through a stand of pine trees, which I've always found odd, since pine trees in Oregon are native to drier areas.  Here they are in a rain forest!

I turned down the hill and reached 38.4 mph.  I easily could have gone faster, but had seen some tree branches on the road following the recent heavy rains, and didn't want any surprises.

I got to the bottom and got to cross a new bridge.  Last year it was under construction following the destruction of the previous one during a flood.



I arrived back at Maria Bonita with almost the exact stats as yesterday's ride, but this one had steeper pitches, and better views.

Having biked this loop clockwise last year, I was smart enough to ride the opposite direction this time!
11.9 miles, 1858 ft, 17.3% max grade

I was at Maria Bonita for almost two hours when I got a message from Murray, saying he got home unexpectedly and we could make the bike transfer.  He offered to drive to town, but I said I'd ride the bike. (glutton for punishment!)

I changed back into riding clothes, not real biking clothes, but dri-tec t shirt and gym shorts.

I took off quickly, as it gets dark here just after 6 PM, and I would be pressing hard to make it back before dark. I did not have my lights with me.

I covered the 5.5 miles to Murray's home pretty quickly, even with its 638 ft of climbing. (only a 12.2% maximum grade however)
I did not stop for any photos given my desire to finish up before dark.


Murray offered to give me a ride back, but I declined, it was only 3.5 miles back to the house and if I hurried along I could be at least on the sparsely traveled gravel road, if not completely back before dark.

The fog and rain arrived about a mile from home.  I had my raincoat along so it wasn't bad.  I did manage to arrive back home before it got even close to dark.  With my difficult rides today, and the walk back, (plus a little walking in town between rides) I more than met my goals for activity today.

                                       

It was a nice day to ride, but ...................

                      


........Road Bike........Rollers.......MTB..........Lifecycle......Total

Today ......0.................0..................19....................0............19

Jan.........0.................. 0..................0.....................0..............0

Feb.........0..................0..................0.....................0...............0

March.......0.................0................0.....................0...............0

April.......0.................0..................0......................0...............0

May.........0..................0................80....................0..............80


YTD..........0...............0.................80.....................0..............80

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.