Sunday, January 29, 2017

Racing Raindrops

Daylight arrived with 10-15 mph winds out of the south, in advance of rain predicted by 2PM.
Following breakfast I was on the bike hoping for 35-40 miles before the rain.

I rolled down Queen Ann, crossed the Fremont Bridge, and headed out the Burke-Gilman Trail. The wind was mostly helpful as I wound my way along the shore of Lake Washington.  I had a half bottle of water on the bike, planning to top it off along the way.  About 7 miles into the ride I came to a water fountain along the trail, but it was turned off for the winter.

When I got to Log Boom Park, the water fountain there was winterized as well. I was somewhat surprised since the BG is a well used path, and frost proof fountains could easily be used in places like this. Oh well, there were other options for water if I needed any.

The wind had whipped up a few waves on the usually placid lake.


I continued on toward the north end of the Burke-Gilman Trail.  I could continue on the Lake Sammamish Trail, but the impending rain, as well as late afternoon plans meant that this would be far enough today.  Just before the end of the trail I went through this brightly painted underpass.


Within 100 ft of the tunnel the BG ended and I turned around.  I was now fighting the wind more than being blown along by it.  The clouds kept getting thicker and darker. I kept pedaling along.

I did stop to get a picture of Mt Rainier.


As I approached the Fremont Bridge I rolled up to a stop signal and rolled to a stop next to a young woman on her bike.  I asked if she thought we'd beat the rain.  She laughed, and said that was why she was riding fast. The light turned green, and she was gone!

I crossed the Fremont Bridge and called Julie, giving her a half hour warning of my arrival.  She had mentioned that she'd like to go on a ride around Queen Ann when I got there.  It would be her second ride of the month so I was going to do my best to accommodate her.  I winched my way up the hill.  Julie met me at her bike and around the hill we went.
It was 1:45 PM, and the rain was coming in right on time.


The road was just beginning to get wet as we finished up.



.........Road Bike........Rollers.............MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today ........40................0....................0........................0..........40
Jan..............242...............15...................0......................31..........288

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.