Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A short ride around SE Portland

I had an appointment in SE Portland today, which worked out perfectly for taking in a short ride with a local bike meetup group.

It was an interesting mix of folks in spandex, most with two bottles on their bike..... for a 16 mile social paced ride.

I was in gym shorts and t-shirt, tennis shoes, and no bottles on the bike.

 The route for today had been posted ahead of time, and I had loaded it on my Garmin. The pace was slow, but I was fine with that and had no need to push on ahead. I stayed near the front of the group.
Here I am as we waited for cross traffic, second from the right, with the small backpack on. 


There were some typically Portland moments.  A gal on a tall bike rode by, a fat tired bike sat parked in front of a coffee shop.  There was even some bike art along our route today.
The group  today was pretty good about stopping at stop signs. At least those in front of me were, I can't speak for those who were behind.  One thing that bothered me, but evidently not those involved, was riding in the door zone.

Why is a door zone bad you ask?
 

                           

We managed to make it through today without mishap.........this time.  We rode along the Willamette River for a short distance.


As we exited the Springwater Trail our route was to make a right turn.  I was in mid pack and noted that the leaders missed the turn.  I had the route on my Garmin........and didn't miss the turn.  I was now just on a bike ride and followed the instructions on my Garmin to the end of today's route.  Without the group around me, I had picked up the pace a bit and finished well before the others arrived and used the time to load my bike and check email. ;-)


Rather than stay for lunch I left for my appointment.   It was a nice day for a ride.
.........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total
  Today............16..............0...............0...............0.................16
 Jan...............765...............0...............0...............0...............765
Feb................248...............0...............0...............0................248
March...........183.................0................0..............0................183
April..............228...............0................0...............0 ................228
May................200................0...............0...............0.................200
June................199.................0..............26...............0.................199
July.................122................0...............0.................0...............122
Total............1912...............0...............26...............0..............1938

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.