Sunday, July 11, 2010

planless

While my Race Across Oregon partner was pedaling a club ride of Lolo Pass I was trying to come up with a route to ride. The ride up Lolo had a warning posted that it would be 50+ miles with over 5000 ft of climbing, possible gravel road sections, and no opportunity for water refills. It was going to be hot. It just didn't seem like a ride I'd enjoy. When I finally decided that I should at least go ride it, I was too late to make it to the start on time.

John had left a camelback in my pickup yesterday so I finally decided I'd ride to Keizer and return it. It was a flat ride with plenty of opportunities for water and snacks if needed.

I rode briskly in the morning relative coolness. When I arrived in Keizer (unannounced) John was just getting ready to go for a ride. He invited me to join him for a short ride which I gladly accepted. We rode a 12 mile loop of Windsor Island before John had to attend to previous commitments.

I took a longer route back home which included a crossing of the Canby Ferry. It was definitely a bike day. When I arrived at the ferry there were already two bikes onboard and no cars. Across the river where 3 more bikes waiting, and again no cars!

I powered up the hill on the Wilsonville side of the river and soon finished up the ride. It ended up being a warm day and I noted high water usage.

I had a niece's birthday gathering to attend so I had to be satisfied today with 78 miles. I joked with family that I had three aspects that scuttled my usual 100 mile weekend day rides, if any of the three things changed I would have achieved the hundred miles:

1) start earlier
2) ride faster
3) don't stop so early in the day

It was still a good ride. I'll try to get some mid week miles in to make up for the short weekend.

............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.....ROLLERS....TOTAL
Today.......78................0...............0...........78
Jan........618...............0................0..........618
Feb........692...............0................0..........692
March......940...............0................5..........940
April......934...............0................0..........934
May........905...............0................0..........905
June......1152...............0................0.........1152
July.......385...............0................0..........385
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....5641...............0..............5.........5646

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.