Tuesday, December 22, 2009

looking back and looking forward

We are not quite at the end of the year yet, however, I'm beginning to look back at the year in review. The past year has been mostly good for me from a biking perspective. I accomplished a lot of "firsts" for me. I rode a 5 hour century, an 11 hour double century, rode Peach of a Century and was only passed by three riders! I have logged more than 10,000 miles on a bike this year. I've ridden through a lot of beautiful country, and have enjoyed the company of friends on much of it. It's nice to know that some folks in my social bike club have achieved biking goals because of my influence.

The one goal yet unrealized is finishing the Furnace Creek 508. I'll continue to seek that finisher's jersey with a more focused effort in 2010.

I am looking forward to the nearly 500 miles of riding planned before the end of the year with most of that being in sunny Southern California. :-) On Thursday I join some of my social bike group for a 40 mile Christmas Eve morning ride. Then Christmas morning I take off for San Diego where I will be riding the 400+ mile San Diego Christmas Ride and before leaving the sunny SW deserts will be riding the 127 mile Julian Alpine Loop of the San Diego Randonneurs on New Year's Day. (a rare "non bike" note on this blog: I'm looking forward to the return via Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and Great Salt Lake, all new sights for me!)

On my first weekend back in the great Pacific Northwest I'll be leading a ride along the Oregon Coast. on Saturday. This will likely morph into a biking weekend with a stay over and shorter ride on Sunday before heading back to the Willamette Valley. If you have the time and legs come join me!

I'll be doing very minimal "live updates" when riding the Christmas Ride as I won't have my computer along. I'll post notes via cell phone text messages when I am able but service is spotty along the route. I will "retroactively" get the data and photos here when I return.

Oh, and this cute little gem might serve as a New Year's Resolution for some!



Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.